I get to my first class and all goes well. My second class, geography, was an over packed class of freshmen and sophomores, all ready to make the first joke. As my professor began his lecture and ask questions something caught my eye. Out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a row of pretty cute guys all cutting up and laughing. They gave the nod and I smiled. The professor continued to grill the class until someone finally spoke up.
The young man was not among the row of attractive guys but sitting quite close. He wore a hair style that was not really even stylish when I was young and his clothes were ill fitting due to his statue. He was a large man and his thick glasses didn't help his already out of date image. He was very excited about the subject. He spoke up with the correct answer every chance he was given and was always so enthusiastic. Once I thought he was going to stand up and begin teaching the class himself, but he seemed to refrain.
The college boys as I soon labeled them would take every chance they were given as well... to make fun and laugh audibly at this man. In 20 minutes I was filled with a passionate hatred for these boys as this guy continued to speak and they continued to laugh.
I could no longer pay attention to what he or my professor were saying. It was all I could do now not to stand up myself and smack these inconsiderate children that were calling themselves young men.
For a good 30 minutes I continued to casually send death stares at their slightest snicker and tried my best to concentrate on the subject at hand.
About half way into class I realized that I was already breaking my New Years resolution.
(which was :
to be patient.
to be kind.
not to envy.
never brag.
not proud.
be slow to wrath.
keep no records of wrongs against friends.
to LOVE and love forgives.
We all could use forgiveness )
So silently I forgave these boys for so offending me with their attitudes and actions. I prayed to myself that they would see that it is by THE GRACE OF GOD that they are not sitting where this young man was. I wanted to go thank that man for sharing with the class so readily but time did not permit any such interactions and I vowed to tell him Wednesday, when we have our next class.
I'm going to pray as to how I can react with love towards both parties this Wednesday.
Because Love is truly what matters the most.
Colossians 3:12-14 tells us this about love:
"So,
chosen by God for this new life of love, Dress in your wardrobe God
picked out for you: Compassion, Kindness, Humility, Quiet strength,
Discipline. Be even- tempered, content with second place, quick to forgive an
offense. Forgive quickly and completely as the Master forgave you. And
regardless of what else you put on, wear love. It's
your basic, all-purpose, most important garment. Never be
without it."
Loving someone can feel like the easiest or the hardest thing possible, but love is what we need in order to share Christ's true story. Love is what we need to adorn to show we are different. How many people do you know that treat everyone with love and the many others that were mentioned?
I challege you this week to pick even 5 people to constantly love. It's hard. You will want to kill them. Just remember this is how God must feel everyday, yet "For God so loved the world that he sent his only son, that who so ever believes in him, shall not parish, but have eternal life."
Thats what I want. To be praise God forever and a day.

No comments:
Post a Comment