Thursday, January 28, 2010

From The Inside Out.


In John 4, Jesus meets a woman at a well. He tells her of how the water she drinks from the well will never quench her thirst as the the water the Father can provide. Great story, but reading it tonight I realized a small detail lets out when this story is told.
This story has been placed on my heart for the entire month of January. I feel like every where I turn someone is discussing this story. I would toss it back and forth in my mind over and over again asking God what it was that He was trying to tell me.
This month has been crazy. So many things have happened. Ive done so many things that I've always said I wanted to and have come to really get to know who I am and what makes me that way.
I've always loved to sing. I'm not the best but I can carry a tune. I love music. A life without music would be an extremely sad one. I cant imagine a time when I couldn't surround myself with music. I've always wanted to sing harmony or be able to get involved with a praise band, you know the people that lead worship music during a church service. This month I finally got the chance. I'm helping in younglife and in my college's BMC as well.
John 4:23-24 says, "It's who you are and the way you live that count before God. Your worship must engage your spirit in the pursuit of truth. That's the kind of people that the Father is out looking for those who are simply themselves before him in their worship. God is sheer for being itself- the spirit. Those who worship him must do it out of their very being. their spirits, their true selves, in adoration."

I realized that I have become so consumed with sounding the best, singing the loudest, harmonizing different than anyone that I had lost the true reason I was singing to begin with; because I adore my savior; because I want to honor Him with the gift he has given me.
God is so good to us, yet we take Him for granted. In our sin-nature we begin to center even the gifts and talents meant for worship around ourselves.
I want to praise my Lord. I want to lift Him higher. I want more of him and less of me.

and I'm going to start now.

No comments:

Post a Comment